AboutNewman Machine Company, Inc
Over a century ago, in 1907, George F. Newman, the co-founder and first president of Newman Machine Company, had a far-sighted vision of the importance of machines in the lumber, millwork, and furniture industries. This vision led him to organize the company which today stands as a leader among manufacturers of woodworking machinery.
The first machine developed by the company was a lathe mill and bolter, which served the need for volume production of wood lathes used extensively at that time, and the demand for this machine launched the small company on the road to success.
Shortly thereafter, a four-sided planer and matcher, the No. 8, was designed for the small lumber plants. This machine and improved models of it were installed in over 978 small planing mills starting in 1910.
Drill lineIn 1912 the company designed and built the first of its larger planers and matchers, the No. 97. Acceptance of this machine was so great that additional facilities were needed.
After World War I the company designed and built what is thought to be the industry’s first planer and matcher with ball bearings. It was sold to Cox Lumber Company of Wadesboro, North Carolina.
Newman’s production of its ball bearing planers and matchers was a forerunner of one of the most important changes in the woodworking industry – the transition from plain or Babbitt bearings to ball bearings. Continuing in this leadership, the company in the early 1920’s designed its complete line of machines with ball bearings, giving its customers faster, trouble-free machines, adaptable to quicker adjustments and providing a better finish to raise the quality of their products. All of this resulted in increased quality and in cost savings to the woodworking industry.
In 1926 the company created two models of the most modern direct motor driven electric molders of the time.
By 1934 the company had expanded and positioned itself as a leader for woodworking equipment. It continued on a path of growth and innovation which only slowed as a result of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Newman manufactured woodworking machinery almost entirely for the armed services throughout the World War II years.
When peace came in 1945 Newman Machine Company was extremely busy supplying the needs of the woodworking industry, and it was during this period that it further established itself as one of the leaders in its field. Over the next 15 years more than 5,000 heavy-duty woodworking machines were built.