AMI Machining specializes in CNC Sinker EDM (Electrical Discharge Machining), also referred to as Conventional EDM, Die Sink EDM, Plunge EDM, or Ram EDM.
Conventional (sinker) EDM is ideal for machining features that are impossible to reach using traditional methods. Simple or complex shapes can be EDMed into hardened materials, which may be difficult to machine by other methods.
Since the cutting electrode does not come into contact with the workpiece, conventional (sinker) EDM offers the ability to produce features in delicate or complex components or parts with previous machining already completed.
AMI Machining’s Sinker EDM Services
- Capable of cutting most electrically conductive materials
- Machine hardened or heat-treated material
- Tolerances of +/- .0002″ achieved routinely with Sinker EDM
- Typical Surface finish of .4 Ra μm.
- Temperature controlled environment for superior accuracy
- A variety of shapes and sizes inside blind cavities
- The cutting electrode does not come into contact with the workpiece. Delicate sections and weak materials can be machined without any distortion.
Capabilities of Conventional EDM
- Simultaneous Cutting – EDM wire can cut through stacked sheeting materials to produce identical OEM components at the same time; this multiplies productivity, saving you time and money. In many cases this is more cost effective than water jet.
- NO IMPACT CUTTING – Wire EDM allows the machining of hard, brittle and fragile materials without impacts and stresses. Machining hardened or heat treated material eliminates risk of distortion from secondary treatments.
- Superior Consistency – throughout the duration of the cutting process, conventional cutting tools can wear down or even break, resulting in tiny inconsistencies in the final product. Wire EDM cycles new wire between spools to produce consistent electrode quality, which lends itself to repeatable wire cuts. In addition, Wire EDM uses temperature controlled de-ionized water as a cutting medium.