Manufacturing Content Marketers Need to Stop Talking about Themselves
10 December 2018
Content Marketing Institute Releases New Research on State of Manufacturing Content Marketing
CLEVELAND, Nov. 07, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Too many manufacturing organizations are still talking about themselves in the content they create. That’s the key takeaway in the brand new Content Marketing Institute (CMI) research out today. The Manufacturing Content Marketing 2019: Benchmarks, Budgets, and Trends report, sponsored by IEEE GlobalSpec, shows only 51% of manufacturing marketers always or frequently prioritize their audience’s informational needs over their sales/promotional message while creating content.
To see our analysis and download the full report visit: http://cmi.media/mfg19
This report highlights the responses from for-profit manufacturing marketers who took the CMI/MarketingProfs ninth annual content marketing survey. Comparing the manufacturing marketers’ responses to the broader set of B2B North America marketers does not yield an apples-to-apples comparison. Still, it’s worth noting the 51% of manufacturing marketers who regularly prioritize audience information needs is quite a bit lower than the 73% of B2B North America content marketers who do.
“There’s a clear way for manufacturing marketers to turn around their perspective,” explains Lisa Murton Beets, Content Marketing Institute research director. “They need to stop creating content without taking the time to first understand and prioritize the audience’s informational needs. This goes back to the importance of having a documented content marketing strategy.”
Other Key Highlights:
- Fewer than one in four (21%) respondents have a documented content marketing strategy.
- Manufacturers face a long sales cycle full of multiple decision makers, and our survey confirmed that creating content for multi-level roles is a top challenge for respondents (68%).
- 56% of those who increased content marketing spending over the last 12 months did so on content creation.
- 39% of respondents said they use personas for content marketing purposes, and another 27% said they planned to begin doing so in 2018, bringing the figure to an estimated 66% by the end of 2018.
- 81% of manufacturing marketers said social media publishing/analytics tools were the technologies they use most to help manage their content marketing efforts.
- 70% said they increased their use of social media for content marketing purposes compared with one year ago.
About Content Marketing Institute
Content Marketing Institute is the leading global content marketing education and training organization, teaching enterprise brands how to attract and retain customers through compelling, multichannel storytelling. CMI’s Content Marketing World event, the largest content marketing-focused event, is held every September in Cleveland, Ohio, USA, and ContentTECH Summit event is held every spring. CMI publishes the quarterly magazine Chief Content Officer, and provides strategic consulting and content marketing research for some of the best-known brands in the world. Watch this video to learn more about CMI. Content Marketing Institute is organized by UBM, which in June 2018 combined with Informa PLC to become a leading B2B information services group and the largest B2B Events organizer in the world. To learn more and for the latest news and information, visit www.ubm.com and www.informa.com
A photo accompanying this announcement is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/778cbb99-d4b2-47ee-9a36-205a81198b38