Celera Motion Announces AuraTM Absolute Chip Encoder Series
27 January 2021
Celera Motion, a leader in precision motion component and sub-system solutions and a business unit of Novanta Corporation is delighted to announce AuraTM Absolute Chip Encoder Series to its line of precision rotary and linear optical encoders with MicroE technology.
Aura uses a short wave-length LED for precise absolute position decoding. An incremental scale track and advanced sensor produce pure sinewave signals, enabling high resolution interpolation with run-speeds greater than 80k rpm. Generous alignment tolerances for easy installation combined with high repeatability and accuracy make Aura the preferred encoder for the most demanding applications.
Eccentricity, caused by off-center scale mounting and bearing runout, is the largest source of angular error. Two encoders are often employed to compensate for the error increasing cost and power consumption. Aura solves the eccentricity problem with its built-in compensation algorithm thereby eliminating the need for the second encoder.
“Customer demands continue to increase for higher levels of repeatability and accuracy. The Aura Absolute Chip Encoder and its built-in eccentricity compensation better meet customer requirements in critical component applications,” said Mike Mainvielle, VP Product Management & Marketing, Celera Motion. “Aura’s ease of installation and absolute position feedback allow it to deploy faster and provide reliable performance when space is a premium: therefore, this translates into saving time and money.”
Aura’s benefits include:
- Absolute position feedback for high performance, high volume designs
- High resolution and accuracy for precision control needs
- Wide alignment tolerances provide ease of integration resulting in higher productivity
- Built-in eccentricity compensation for minimal angle error and easier installation
- Low power dissipation for tight temperature budget applications
- Comprehensive connectivity meets industry standard interface requirements: BiSS-C, SSI & SPI
- AqB plus index provides additional incremental data to be used as secondary position info
- Global application support available to meet customer’s integration challenges
Aura is an optimal solution for high volume OEM applications including, but not limited to:
- Surgical Robots
- Cobots, Robot Joints and Grippers
- Exoskeleton and Wearables
This Aura encoder will handle the scales ranging from 16 mm OD to 45 mm OD. Two standard scale sizes are available: OD 18 mm / ID 7 mm and OD 33 mm / ID 21 mm. Custom scales are also available. For more information visit: https://www.celeramotion.com/aura-series/
About Celera Motion
Celera Motion, headquartered in Bedford, Massachusetts, is a market leading provider of motion control components and subsystems for OEMs serving a variety of medical and advanced industrial markets. Celera Motion offers precision encoders, motors, and customized mechatronic solutions that help customers solve challenging motion control problems. For more information, visit www.celeramotion.com
Novanta is a trusted technology partner to OEMs in the medical and advanced industrial technology markets, with deep proprietary expertise in photonics, vision and precision motion technologies. For more information, visit www.novanta.com.
Mary Jane McCraven
Celera Motion, A Novanta Company